Wednesday 21 March 2012

A sneaky peek at my degree show collection

My degree show collection is inspired by the recent loss of my grandmother. I wanted to turn her death into something positive by making pieces of jewellery in her memory. Taking fabrics from her clothes, stones from her old and broken jewellery and turning them into fresh, contemporary designs.


rapid prototyped bracelet
silver, vintage fabrics, CZ

I use rapid prototyping techniques to give my vintage inspired jewellery a modern twist. Simple shapes are taken into Rhino and arrayed to create bangles, brooches & ring shanks.


Rapid Prototyped Brooch
Silver with pearls, vintage fabrics and chain


These models are then cast in silver and combined with handmade elements. Domes protect and encase the vintage fabrics and memories inside.

Bangles

The pieces are set with pearls and cubic zirconia's from her jewellery. I use chain to convey the strength of our relationship and connection we had.



Ring collection
Silver, vintage fabrics, pearls

Rapid prototyped ring set with pearl


I have found this project to be very therapeutic and want to help others who have lost loved ones through the healing process. I aim to provide a service in which people who have lost loved ones can create a bespoke piece of jewellery in their memory. This piece can then be worn close and memories cherished forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment